Assembly Instructions For Tool-less Cat5e And Cat6 Unshielded Keystone Jacks
Tool-less unshielded keystone jacks for Cat5e and Cat6 Ethernet make for easy and fast wiring connections.
These do not require soldering to make a permanent connection.
The keystone jack uses a clam-shell type mechanism, that when closed and pressure is applied, will cut through the wire insulation and secure the wire in the assembly.
A simple process to connect your cable to a tool-less keystone jack is as follows:
1 – flip open the keystone jack wiring cap cover
2 – remove about 1.5 inches of the protective plastic shielding from the cable bundle
3 – insert the twisted pairs and a small portion of the shielding into the strain relief tube in the entry cap
4 – untwist and straighten the twisted pairs of wire
5 – insert the wires into the matching color coded “v” openings in the wiring jack
6 – flip closed the keystone jack wiring
7 – trim the excess wire
8 – use the included snap tool to apply pressure to the cap to close the jack
9 – thread the zip tie through the holes to secure the two halves of the housing
The assembled jack is now ready for insertion into a faceplate.
Keystone jacks are typically available in Black, Blue, Red, White and Yellow. You can purchase these for under $1.25 in volume from ASSMANN WSW components and are available through authorized distributors and DigiKey . Included with each keystone is one snap tool and one zip tie
An overview of the keystone jack specifications from ASSMANN WSW components :
- RJ45 Jack Housing: ABS, UL94V-0
- Jack Bracket Set: PBT, UL94V-0
- RJ45 Jack Contact Material & Finish:
- Phosphor Bronze
- Contact area: Min. 3MM 50 Micro-inch Gold plated over Nickel plated
- IDC Housing: PC, 94V-2
- IDC Terminal Material & Finish:
- Phosphor Bronze w/Min. 50 Micro-inch Tin plated
- Suitable for 23-24AWG stranded & solid wire
- IDC CAP:PC, UL94V-2
- Wiring: T568A & T568B
- Insertion Force: 900 GM for 8 contacts
- Retention Strength: 7.7Kg between Jack and Plug
- Operating Temperature: -10°C ~ +60°C
- Durability: Jack: 750 cycles Plug-Jack mating and un-mating test, Insertion cycles at 20 cycles/minute max. Contact resistance test per 100 cycles.
The Cat5e transmission performance is in compliance with the ANSI/TIA/EIA 568 B.2 Standard
(Image Credit – ASSMANN WSW)
If you found this article interesting and informative, please be sure to sign up for our weekly e-newsletter as well as daily email / RSS Feeds at SourceTech411 .
Disclosure: ASSMANN WSW Components is a client, sponsor or has a professional connection with this site.