The eleven fastest growing technology companies for 2013 are profiled below.
Their technology includes consumer and business electronics end systems, as well as the semiconductor and IC producers used by the OEMs. These companies range from the traditional technology innovators servers and IT, to new disruptive technologies like 3D Printing and cloud based applications and services.
Below we have highlighted information from their recently publicly filed financial statements and earnings reports. Also included is an overview of each company, their products and their core technology.
Cirrus Logic, Inc. is a premier supplier of high-precision analog and digital signal processing components for audio and energy markets.
Founded in 1984, Cirrus Logic excels at developing complex chip designs where feature integration and innovation is a premium. Cirrus Logic has more than 1,000 patents that are key to their more than 700 products serving more than 2,500 end customers globally, through both direct and distributor-based channel sales.
The company’s headquarters are in Austin, Texas, with international locations in Europe, China and Japan. In June 2012 Cirrus relocated to their new headquarters building at 800 West 6th Street in downtown Austin.
On April 24,2013, Cirrus Logic reports March quarter revenue up 87% year-over-year to $207 Million.
For more financial information, please refer to the recent earnings release.
3D Systems is a leading, global provider of 3D content-to-print solutions including personal, professional and production 3D printers, integrated print materials and on-demand custom parts services for professionals and consumers alike. In line with their commitment to democratize access and accelerate adoption of affordable 3D printing they also provide creative content development, 3D CAD software, curation services and content downloads.
Their expertly integrated solutions replace, displace and complement traditional development and manufacturing methods and reduce the time and cost of designing new products by printing real parts directly from digital input. 3D Systems solutions are used to rapidly design, communicate, prototype and produce functional parts and products, empowering our customers to create with confidence.
The company reported that its first quarter revenue:
- grew 31% from the prior year to $102.1 million on a 61% increase in printers’ and other products revenue
- additional 22.1% overall organic growth
- gross profit increased 38%
- gross profit margin expanded 250 basis points to 52.4%
- non-GAAP net income improvement of 43% over the 2012 quarter to $18.9 million
- GAAP net income of $5.9 million
Commenting on the recent earnings, said Avi Reichental, 3D Systems’ President and Chief Executive Officer said,
We are very pleased to report outstanding quarterly results on higher printers’ sales.
We believe that the vibrancy of our diversified portfolio, productivity of our channels and effectiveness of our strategic growth initiatives will continue to fuel our progress and results.
3D printers and other products revenue increased $15.0 million to $39.7 million on 81% higher printer units and the addition of 3D authoring tools. Print materials revenue grew $4.1 million over 2012 to $28.7 million and services revenue rose $5.1 million over 2012 to $33.6 million.
Corporate Headquarters are located at 333 Three D Systems Circle in Rock Hill, SC.
Acquired by Oracle on March 28, 2013, Acme Packet enables trusted, first-class delivery of next-generation voice, data and unified communications services and applications across IP networks for service providers and enterprises. The company’s solutions are deployed by more than 1,900 service providers and enterprises globally, including 89 of world’s top 100 communications companies.
Oracle plans to make Acme Packet a core offering in its Oracle Communications portfolio to enable customers to more rapidly innovate while simplifying their IT and network infrastructures. Service providers are expected to be able to differentiate and monetize offerings through secure and reliable IP-based communications from any device, across any network. We also anticipate enterprise customers will be able to more effectively engage customers, deliver more innovative applications, and improve employee productivity. This combination is expected to provide our partners with an expanded portfolio of world-class solutions to help them create even greater value for their customers
NETGEAR has been a worldwide provider of technologically advanced, branded networking products since 1996. Their mission is to be the preferred customer-driven provider of innovative networking solutions for small businesses and homes. Their focus is on ” Efficiency, Innovation, Presence, and Quality “.
NETGEAR (NASDAQGM: NTGR) is a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers. For consumers, the company makes high performance, dependable and easy to use home networking, storage and digital media products to connect people with the Internet and their content and devices.
For businesses, NETGEAR provides networking, storage and security solutions without the cost and complexity of big IT. The company also supplies top service providers with retail proven, whole home solutions for their customers.
NETGEAR products are built on a variety of proven technologies such as wireless, Ethernet and Powerline, with a focus on reliability and ease-of-use. NETGEAR products are sold in approximately 35,000 retail locations around the globe, and through approximately 41,000 value-added resellers.
The company’s headquarters are in San Jose, Calif., with additional offices in over 25 countries. NETGEAR is an ENERGY STAR® partner.
In their April earnings report, the highlights form the first quarter 2013 results were:
- First quarter 2013 net revenue of $293.4 million, as compared to $325.6 million in the comparable prior year quarter, decrease of 9.9% year-over-year
- First quarter 2013 non-GAAP net income of $19.4 million, as compared to $28.1 million in the comparable prior year quarter, decrease of 31.0% year-over-year
- First quarter 2013 non-GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.50, as compared to $0.73 in the comparable prior year quarter, decrease of 31.5% year-over-year
- Company expects second quarter 2013 net revenue to be in the range of $345 million to $360 million, with non-GAAP operating margin in the range of 9.5% to 10.5%
Founded in 1979, Ultratech, Inc. (NASDAQGM:UTEK) is a leader in both of its major technology markets—advanced packaging and laser processing. The company’s advanced packaging lithography systems deliver compelling yield gains and superior packaging performance at the industry’s lowest overall cost of ownership. Equally impressive is Ultratech’s laser processing technology which increases chip performance while reducing energy consumption. These state-of-the-art technologies are considered by today’s leading chipmakers to be the gateway to future device generations. Industry leaders from the semiconductor, display and nanotechnology markets look to Ultratech to provide highly reliable, cost-effective technology solutions that enable today’s and tomorrow’s sophisticated devices.
Earlier this year, Ultratech announced their un-audited first quarter 2013 results :
For the first quarter of fiscal 2013, Ultratech reported net sales of $60.6 million as compared to $49.6 million during the first quarter of fiscal 2012. Ultratech’s net income for the first quarter of 2013 was $13.7 million, or $0.48 per share (diluted), as compared to net income of $10.2 million, or $0.38 per share (diluted), for the same quarter last year.
Arthur W. Zafiropoulo, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, stated,
Through focused execution we achieved bottom line results in line with our expectations for the first quarter of 2013. As we previously indicated, the near-term business environment has been uncertain and will be challenging, but we anticipate that market conditions may improve as a result of anticipated increases in semiconductor capital equipment spending in the second half of the year.
Thanks to the continued support of our business partners, our strong relationships with customers and the continued efforts of our employees, we remain confident in our strategy to address our served markets in advanced packaging, laser spike annealing, and high-brightness LEDs.
Additionally, we are optimistic that we can continue to leverage our leading technology in both existing and adjacent target markets that offer potential growth opportunities.
At March 30, 2013, Ultratech had $307.3 million in cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments. Working capital was $373.1 million and stockholders’ equity was $14.44 per share based on 27,727,576 total shares outstanding as of March 30, 2013.
VMware (NYSE:VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, delivers customer-proven solutions that accelerate IT by reducing complexity and enabling more flexible, agile service delivery. VMware enables enterprises to adopt a cloud model that addresses their unique business challenges. VMware’s approach accelerates the transition to cloud computing while preserving existing investments and improving security and control. With more than 500,000 customers and 55,000 partners, VMware solutions help organizations of all sizes lower costs, increase business agility and ensure freedom of choice
VMware first quarter 2013 results were released in April, showing:
- Year-over-Year Revenue Growth of 13% to $1.19 Billion
- GAAP Operating Margin of 13.4%; Non-GAAP Operating Margin of 32.5%
- GAAP EPS of $0.40; Non-GAAP EPS of $0.74
- Revenues for the first quarter were $1.19 billion, an increase of 13% from the first quarter of 2012.
- Operating income for the first quarter was $160 million, a decrease of 26% from the first quarter of 2012, reflecting a $63 million realignment charge.
- Non-GAAP operating income for the first quarter was $388 million, an increase of 13% from the first quarter of 2012.
- Net income for the first quarter was $174 million, or $0.40 per diluted share, down 9% compared to $191 million, or $0.44 per diluted share, for the first quarter of 2012.
- Non-GAAP net income for the quarter was $319 million, or $0.74 per diluted share, up 11% compared to $287 million, or $0.66 per diluted share, for the first quarter of 2012.
- Operating cash flows for the first quarter were $676 million, an increase of 17% from the first quarter of 2012. Free cash flows for the quarter were $599 million, an increase of 10% from the first quarter of 2012.
- Cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments were $4.94 billion and unearned revenue was $3.49 billion as of March 31, 2013.
- Annual 2013 revenues are expected to be in the range of $5.12 billion to $5.24 billion, an increase of approximately 11% to 14% from 2012, and annual license revenues are expected to grow approximately 6% to 9%.
- Second quarter 2013 total revenues are expected to be in the range of $1.21 billion to $1.24 billion, an increase of approximately 8% to 10% from the second quarter of 2012.
- Second quarter license revenues are expected to be between $515 million and $535 million.
A privately held company, F5 Networks slogan is “making the connected world run better”, and they are succeeding in this challenge. As the global leader in Application Delivery Networking, F5 makes the connected world run better. In fact, you have probably relied on F5 products dozens of times today and didn’t even know it. F5 helps organizations meet the demands that come with the relentless growth of voice, data, and video traffic, mobile workers, and applications—in the data center and the cloud.
They are a trusted partner for the world’s largest businesses, service providers, government entities, and consumer brands
Riverbed has branded itself has the ” Application Performance Company ” . Applications are now the center of the business world. We rely on them to reach customers, build products, automate back-end business processes, and perform almost every task critical to business.
Application performance and availability not only make users happy – they’re also the most visible indicators that IT is doing its job right. That’s why the world’s leading organizations rely on Riverbed for fast, reliable applications.
Their products and solutions including WAN optimization, performance management, application delivery, and storage acceleration enable IT to both manage and accelerate performance.
Riverbed Technology was founded in 2002 and they shipped their first Steelhead WAN optimization appliance in 2004. Steelhead has been named an InfoWorld “Technology of the Year-WAN Accelerators” for five years running (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011).
Their 2,400 hundred employees now serve more than 20,000 customers worldwide including nine of the Fortune 10 and 80% of the Global 100.
Riverbed Technology reported first quarter 2013 results, with the following highlights:
- GAAP revenue for Q1’13 was $246 million, compared to $182 million in the first quarter of 2012 (Q1’12), representing 35% year-over-year growth.
- GAAP net loss for Q1’13 was $8.1 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared to GAAP net income of $6.9 million, or $0.04 per diluted share, in Q1’12.
- Non-GAAP revenue for Q1’13 was $253 million, an increase of 38% compared to $183 million in Q1’12.
- Non-GAAP net income for Q1’13 was $39 million, or $0.23 per diluted share, compared to non-GAAP net income of $33 million, or $0.20 per diluted share, in Q1’12.
Jerry M. Kennelly, chairman and CEO, responded to earnings questions with:
Non-GAAP revenue grew thirty-eight percent over the prior year and ten percent without the benefit of $52 million contributed by OPNET in the quarter.
Despite weak government spending and general economic softness impacting results, WAN optimization revenue increased six percent year-over-year.
Our market expanding products outside of WAN optimization and OPNET generated more than 40% year-over-year growth. Over the long-term, we believe our multi-product strategy to deliver unmatched application performance will allow us to accelerate the company’s revenue growth.
EZchip Semiconductor is a fabless semiconductor company that provides Ethernet network processors through its fully-owned subsidiary, EZchip Technologies. EZchip provides its customers with solutions that scale from a few to hundreds of Gigabits-per-second. EZchip’s network processors provide great flexibility and high performance coupled with superior integration and power efficiency for a wide range of applications in carrier, data center, cloud and enterprise network equipment
EZchip Technologies was formed as a spin-off in 1999 and is fully-owned by EZchip Semiconductor (NASDAQ: EZCH; formerly LanOptics Ltd.).
EZchip recently announced fourth quarter and full year 2012 results. The highlights are:
- Total revenues in the fourth quarter of 2012 were $15.2 million, an increase of 7% compared to $14.3 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, and an increase of 64% compared to $9.3 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Annual revenues for 2012 of $54.7 million
- Fourth quarter revenues of $15.2 million
- Fourth quarter gross margin reached 83.2% on a GAAP basis and 83.7% on a non-GAAP basis
- Net income, on a GAAP basis, was $15.7 million for 2012 and $4.8 million for the fourth quarter
- Net income, on a non-GAAP basis, was $27.1 million for 2012 (49% of revenues) and $7.8 million for the fourth quarter (51% of revenues)
- Non-GAAP operating cash flow of $29.2 million for 2012 and $7.1 million for the fourth quarter
- Net cash at end of 2012 was $168.0 million
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of high-quality analog and mixed-signal semiconductor products. They are dedicated to providing customers with proprietary solutions and breakthrough technology in:
- power management
- circuit protection
- timing and synchronization
- touch interface
- video broadcasting
- high-performance optical transport equipment (SerDes)
- high-reliability military products
- low-power wireless RF
- digital sensor/signal conditioning ICs
Semtech products are used in some of the most innovative systems and in some of the fastest growing markets in the industry. These markets include Smartphones, LCD TVs, Notebook Computers, Wireless LAN Modems, Automatic Meter Reading, Ultra-Low Power Medical, Satellite Communication, Cellular Infrastructure, Optical Transport and Datacenters.
Semtech announced fourth quarter and fiscal year 2013 results :
- Quarterly Revenue of $151 Million up 45% From Prior Year Quarter
- Record Annual Revenue of $579 Million up 20% Year Over Year
- Record Annual Gross Profit
- Record Annual Operating Cash Flow Exceeds $100 Million
- Net revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013 was $150.6 million, up 44.8 percent from the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012 and down 6.4 percent from the third quarter of fiscal year 2013. Net revenue for the full fiscal year 2013 was $578.8 million, up 20.4 percent from fiscal year 2012.
- Net income for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013, computed in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), was $13.1 million or 19 cents per diluted share. This compares to GAAP net income of $12.4 million or 19 cents per diluted share in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012 and GAAP net income of $16.6 million or 25 cents per diluted share in the third quarter of fiscal year 2013. For the full fiscal year 2013, net income was $41.9 million or $0.62 per diluted share, down from $89.1 million or $1.32 per diluted share in fiscal year 2012.
- GAAP gross profit margin for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013 was 58.4 percent compared to 57.4 percent in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012 and 60.2 percent in the third quarter of fiscal year 2013. GAAP gross profit margin for the full fiscal year 2013 was 54.4 percent compared to 59.4 percent in fiscal year 2012.
SuperMicro Computer is a global leader in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology and innovation. They are a premier provider of end-to-end green computing solutions for Enterprise IT, Data Center, Cloud Computing, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and Embedded Systems worldwide. Supermicro’s advanced server Building Block Solutions offer a vast array of modular, interoperable components for building energy-efficient, application-optimized, computing solutions. This broad line of products includes servers, blades, GPU systems, workstations, motherboards, chassis, power supplies, storage technologies, networking solutions, Battery Backup Power (BBP), software, and SuperRack cabinets/accessories. Architecture innovations include Twin Architecture and the evolutionary FatTwin, SuperServer, SuperBlade, MicroCloud, Super Storage Bridge Bay (SBB), Double-Sided Storage, Hadoop, Universal I/O (UIO) and WIO expansion technologies, delivering unrivaled performance, uncompromising service, and unmatched value to customers.
Supermicro combines 19+ years of advanced engineering experience with efficient production and integration expertise to develop first-to-market green computing solutions. The company is committed to protecting the environment through its “We Keep IT Green®” initiative. From motherboards and power supplies designed with the latest high-efficiency components to intelligent power management and cooling subsystems, Supermicro offers the most energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly solutions available on the market.
Founded in 1993 and headquartered in San Jose, California, Supermicro employs approximately 1,300 people worldwide. The company has been profitable every year since inception and has annual sales exceeding $1 billion. Products are sold through major distribution channels including VARs, SIs and OEMs worldwide, as well as through its direct sales force. Operations centers are located in Silicon Valley, the Netherlands, and its 2 million+ square foot Science & Technology Park and advanced integration facility in Taiwan.
Super Micro Computer, Inc. announced 3rd quarter 2013 results :
- Quarterly net sales of $278.0 million, down 4.6% from the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 and up 15.8% from the same quarter of last year.
- Net income of $7.0 million, up 43.3% from the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 and down 0.5% from the same quarter of last year.
- Gross margin of 14.0%, up from 13.8% in the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 and down from 17.0% in the same quarter of last year.
- Server solutions accounted for 41.8% of net sales compared with 43.3% in the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 and 48.5% in the same quarter of last year.
- Net sales for the third quarter ended March 31, 2013 totaled $278.0 million, down 4.6% from $291.5 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2013. No customer accounted for more than 10% of net sales during the quarter ended March 31, 2013.
- The Company’s cash and cash equivalents and short and long term investments at March 31, 2013 were $96.7 million compared to $83.8 million at June 30, 2012. Free cash flow in the nine months ended March 31, 2013 was $9.2 million primarily due to a decrease in inventory for hard disk drives.
- The Company expects net sales of $295 million to $315 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013 ending June 30, 2013. The Company expects non-GAAP earnings per diluted share of approximately $0.17 to $0.22 for the fourth quarter.
Charles Liang, CEO of Supermicro, commented on the recent fiscal data:
The typical March quarter seasonality was evident in the lower sequential revenue. However, we are pleased that revenue for the quarter was up 15.8% from last year. Our revenue growth this quarter outpaced the industry’s growth and we expect this trend will continue.
Supermicro continues to take market share by providing the industry’s most innovative products that feature the best performance per watt, per dollar, and per square foot. Our servers’ system management software has been consistently gaining customer acceptance which will continue to add value to our complete solutions offering.
(Image Credit – Constant Contact )
If you found this article interesting and informative, please be sure to sign up for our weekly e-newsletter as well as daily email / RSS Feeds at SourceTech411 .