The worlds’ best athletes are at the Sochi Olympics competing for Gold; Closer to home, college students are preparing to have their knowledge, creativity, decision making, problem solving, and technical skills tested in hopes of winning scholarships and recognition.
The Avnet Tech Games (ATG) is an annual college technology competition that provides students with an opportunity to apply what they learn in school to real-world scenarios. Students compete in teams and each winning team member is eligible to receive a scholarship up to $1,000 in value. Thousands of students will graduate and apply for the same jobs, but the ones who get the best jobs have one thing in common: experience outside the classroom. Adding the Avnet Tech Games to your resume can be the difference that can land you the job that will launch your career.
Teri Radosevich, Avnet vice president of community relations and public affairs describes this event as:
The Avnet Tech Games has inspired students and the high-tech industry to transform together – raising the bar for education and creating a more qualified workforce. Partnering with the Avnet Tech Games allows businesses the opportunity to get in front of technology students, who are taking the lead in transforming the future of high-tech.
The Avnet Tech Games competitive events provide students with an opportunity to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and competency in selected fields
- Exercise team-building, decision-making and creative skills
- Develop skills for future leadership roles
- Connect with local employers
- Obtain hands-on experience outside the classroom
The Virtual Games are open to college students nationwide. Student teams are presented with a scenario and compete against other student teams from colleges across the country. Projects are submitted to judges who are able to score them remotely and declare a winner.
The 2014 Spring Virtual Avnet Tech Games include:
• Android App™ Showdown – Students develop a mobile application for the Android™ platform by using innovative MIT Android™ App Inventor Technology.
• Green Video Competition – Competitors combine video production skills, environmental awareness and marketing skills to create a short video on environmental initiatives at their college.
• JDA Supply Chain Challenge – Students manage decisions regarding forecasting, inventory management, capacity management, schedule and pricing.
The culminating event, the Arizona Onsite Competition is a one-day event open to Arizona college students. In 2014, it will be held on April 12, 2014 at the University of Advancing Technology, 2625 W. Baseline Rd., Tempe, Ariz., 85283.
Video: Highlights From 2013 Tech Games (2m:57s)
The 2014 Arizona Onsite Avnet Tech Games include:
• Build the Fastest Computer – Build, troubleshoot and tune a PC the fastest.
• Cisco Networking Expert Battle — Set-up, deploy, troubleshoot and repair a network similar to a small office configuration.
• Desktop Domination – Complete a set of tasks and troubleshoot issues in the Windows 7 operating system.
• Digital Design Dilemma – Create, validate and document a FPGA design that works on a provided circuit board.
• EMC Green Data Center Challenge – Design your own state-of-the-art data center, from the ground up.
• Java Blitz – Develop an application using Java 7 Standard Edition, which is a popular software development language that is used in many large corporations today.
• Robot Race Obstacle Course – Build and program a robot to maneuver objects through different courses.
• Solar Scrimmage – Design, build, test and present the best overall solar-powered “Green Energy” water pumping system.
Students participating in the Arizona Onsite games will have the opportunity to attend a networking hour where they can connect with Avnet executives, as well as event sponsors and business leaders from companies such as DP Air, EMC, JDA Software, Cisco and Microchip.
For more information or to register go to Avnet Tech Games.
Follow on Twitter: @AvnetTechGames
Follow on Facebook: facebook.com/AvnetTechGames
(Image Credit – Avnet )
If you found this article interesting and informative, please be sure to sign up for our weekly e-newsletter as well as daily email / RSS Feeds at SourceTech411 .
May we suggest the following Amazon products for your consideration?