Osram SFH7770E6 Ambient Light And Proximity Sensor Development Kit
The OSRAM Opto Semiconductors SFH 7770 E6 is a two-in-one digital solution, featuring both a proximity sensor and ambient light sensor in one package with an I²C bus interface.
It determines the ambient brightness, detects the presence of an object nearby and can even tell whether the object is moving closer or moving further away. By using 2 or 3 IR LEDs instead of one, it is even possible to detect gestures.
Compared to its predecessors (SFH 7770 E4 and E5), the SFH 7770 E6 features a more sensitive proximity sensor—up to five times improved sensitivity—and improved ambient light sensor (sensitive down to 0.03lx). The SFH 7770 E6 is a compact device which is designed for simultaneous detection of ambient light and proximity of reflecting objects.
Matchbox Demo: Intelligent Proximity Sensing (2m:49s)
Applications are for mobile phones, PDAs, notebooks, cameras, and other consumer products.
- Proximity sensing: (1”, 4” & 6”) Place hand over indicator LED at the designated distance to turn on. Remove hand to turn off.
- Slide: Slide finger across the two indicator LEDs to turn on. Slide finger across in the opposite direction to turn off.
- Rotary: Rotate finger counter clockwise around the three indicator LEDs to increase brightness. Rotate finger clockwise to reduce brightness.
- Touch: Tap indicator LED to turn on/off. Hold finger down to increase/decrease brightness.
- Wave: Wave hand left- right- left once for on. Wave a second time for off.
- Ambient Light Sensor: Ambient light will increase brightness. The reduction of ambient light will decrease brightness.
Overview of specifications:
Ambient Light Sensor
- Closely matches the sensitivity of the human eye
- High accuracy from 3 – 65,000 lx
- Low temperature coefficient of photosensitivity
- Insensitivity to mains-power related 50-60 Hz flickering
- Excellent linearity
- Detection range of up to 300 mm
- Gesture recognition possible
- Capable of driving a maximum of 3 IR LEDs with up to 200mA
- Optimized for 850 nm emitters
- Insensitive to ambient light
The Matchbox Demo kit, shown in the video above, is available from electronics distributor Mouser.
(Image Credit – Osram)
If you found this article interesting and informative, please be sure to sign up for our weekly e-newsletter as well as daily email / RSS Feeds at SourceTech411 .