What Do Smoke, Fire, CO Alarm Beeps, Chirps Mean?
Here are what the chirping / beeping codes from First Alert mean, for the smoke / fire / CO detectors:
- 4 Beeps, Pause, 4 Beeps: EMERGENCY. This means that carbon monoxide is detected in the area, you should move to fresh air and call 911.
- 3 Beeps, Pause, 3 Beeps: EMERGENCY. This means either smoke or heat is detected, you should leave and call 911.
- 3 Beeps Every Minute:, this could mean the alarm is in a malfunction mode.
- 1 Beep Every Minute: Low Battery. It is time to replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide alarm.
- 5 Beeps Every Minute: End of Life. It is time to replace your carbon monoxide alarm.
These are pretty common across most devices, but you can always Google your particular brand / manufacturer to get the exact codes.
When it is time to replace your alarm / detector, which was about 5 to 7 years for older models, and up to 10 for the new ones, you should consider the combination smoke / CO. These don’t cost much more than the standard smoke detectors, but can save your life.
The First Alert Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm, (uses 2 AA batteries) is under $30. This is one the of the highest rated, and most reliable devices on the market.
Newer models also come with built-in 10-year batteries, so you don’t have to worry about replacing batteries twice annually (recommended to do when you change the clocks to/from daylight savings).
For more advanced units with additional features, check out our review of Best WiFi Smart Alert Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors for 2018 .
Be sure to check out why your alarm / detector is beeping, and stay safe!
Comments are closed.